It’s Valentine’s Day! A day dreaded by some and adored by others. A sucker for anything pink, girly and romantic, I’m one of the others. There’s a lot to love in the world, but these are some of my favorites right this minute.
- One Billion Rising – “One Billion Rising for Justice is a global call to women survivors of violence and those who love them to gather safely in community outside places where they are entitled to justice – courthouses, police stations, government offices, school administration buildings, work places, sites of environmental injustice, military courts, embassies, places of worship, homes, or simply public gathering places where women deserve to feel safe but too often do not. It is a call to survivors to break the silence and release their stories – politically, spiritually, outrageously – through art, dance, marches, ritual, song, spoken word, testimonies and whatever way feels right.” So basically, women around the world today will be rising up and speaking out in a variety of ways to demand an end to violence against women and girls. This includes marches in Afghanistan and an awesome flash mob in India (streaming live). What’s not to love?
- Pink and Gold Macaroons from Ladurée – La Tentation de Nina limited collection from Ladurée meets all of my ultra girly fantasies. Pretty pink sweets with a shiny gold finish in perfect packaging? Adore.
- This: Last week marked the 50 year anniversary of the Beatles coming to America, and decades later this line couldn’t be more true.
- Sunny weather! It’s been flooding in Rome and the rest of the world is under attack from massive blizzards in the US, erupting volcanoes in Indonesia and the biggest earthquake China has seen in awhile. We need some reprieve! Sunny weather and Vitamin D boost endorphins, making you happy and more likely to be loving, a requirement on Valentine’s Day. That’s why I’m heading to beautiful, sunny Malta. Wherever you are today, do something sunny! Even if it’s just changing the background on your computer or booking a summer trip.
- Red Lipstick – Red lipstick instantly screams love, sex, class and power, maybe or maybe not in that order. It can also scream ‘trash’ if you don’t apply it carefully. For the class look in a flash, I’m obsessed with M.A.C. matte lipstick in Russian Red. It’s only $15 and has had a cult following for years, and while the Russians might not know how to host an Olympic event, ‘Russian Red’ still screams seduction.
- Love Letters – Texts are nice, facebook messages are fine, but nothing compares to a handwritten letter. It can be a long declaration of affection, or something short and sweet. People hold onto their love letters for a reason. Even better if they’re on pretty stationary…
- The Modern Love Column – I’ve loved this for years, not just this one, but it’s on the list because it shows the scope of love essay after essay, exploring the topic from all angles through reader submissions.
- This Video – I’ve worked in too many restaurants and bars to count, and enjoyed (almost) every minute of it. But Valentine’s Day is a special beast in the restaurant world. It’s the day where you get to redesign the restaurant to fit only endless tables for two, rendering your larger tables useless and squishing people against each other, (therefore ruining their romance). Then you have to watch couples either gush or fight while you recite specials off the Valentine’s Menu, mentally tracking all of your other tables because it’s so insanely busy, all while wondering what it would feel like to actually be able to celebrate Valentine’s Day on the 14th like a normal person, instead of on the 13th or 15th because you can’t take off work on the most lucrative night of the year. I have done and said everything in this video. It’s perfect. You might not relate if you’ve never worked in the service industry, but if you have I’m sure you’ll find it equally amazing. Moral? Be nice to your server and tip well on Valentine’s Day!!
- Being Single – I am not immune to the desire for romantic grand gestures and the insane happiness being in love can bring. But I am immune to wanting it right now. More time for reading, aperitivo with friends and planning future travel destinations? Yes, please! There’s hardly enough time in the day to do everything I want now, and that’s without having to cater to someone else’s needs.
- Travel – Of course! There is nothing I love more than setting off to a new place, immersing myself in a new culture and becoming enamored with new sights, sounds and tastes. My list keeps getting longer and longer, and the only thing I don’t love about it is that I have to work in between.
What are you loving this year? What’s on your bucket list? Stay in touch – Happy Valentine’s Day! xoxo