Hi! I’m Rebecca, and I’m a freelance travel and food writer based in Chicago.
I started Curiosity and a Carry On in 2015 to combine my love of travel, food, meeting new people, and storytelling. My favorite part of travel is what you learn along the way, usually through the people you meet. I think everyone has an interesting story to share, so in Curiosity you’ll find interviews with everyone from chefs to volunteers to local friends and innovators in the travel industry.
My other favorite part of travel is packing. Yes, really. Find out what’s #inmycarryon and how to pack for various destinations, from beach to mountains to city. Are you passionate about suitcases and travel-sized products like I am? Let me know what’s in your carry on to be featured on the blog! Reach out at email@example.com or on Instagram.
Working in restaurants for many years gave me a love and understanding of the industry, and I think food tells its own story about a place, so you’ll hear all about restaurant and other eating experiences both at home and abroad in the Food section. I’m also addicted to coffee and you’ll find my favorite recommendations every Monday to kick-start your week!
In addition to my blog, I write for USA Today, The Chicago Tribune, New City, The Huffington Post, Roads & Kingdoms, Fly Corporate, and other publications.
Just for fun, a few answers to questions I get asked often
- Where are you from? I’m from Deerfield, Wisconsin, a tiny town outside of Madison, but I live in Chicago. Read my love letter to my hometown on the Huffington Post.
- Favorite destination? So far, Jordan, Italy, and Cambodia.
- Favorite dish? Cacio e pepe, an amazing Roman pasta dish made with pecorino cheese and black pepper, qabuli pulao, an Afghan dish of steamed rice, carrots, raisins, meat, and spices, and any really good Mexican food. (Luckily I live in Chicago, home to Rick Bayless and the best Mexican food outside of Mexico).
- Can’t live without travel item? I am addicted to Rosebud Perfume Co. Rosebud Salve. It’s a miracle worker for lips, nails, skin, even hair in a pinch.
- Best bag for a weekend getaway? I love the Everlane Twill Weekender. Fits everything and comfortable on your shoulder, plus it’s stylish.
- Who designed your logo? The amazing Michelle Neo. I love the logo, and working with Michelle was such a fun process. She’s so creative and talented–highly recommended!
- Who takes your photos? I do! (Slowly learning about photography – if you have camera suggestions please let me know). And in the rare cases I don’t, they’re credited.
I love to hear from you! Reach out anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, suggestions, or just to say hi. Thank you for following along on my adventures around the world!
Though I am sometimes offered complimentary hotel stays or products, I only write about things if I genuinely enjoy them and think you will too. Any gifted products are listed as complimentary, so you’ll always know. If you’re a brand interested in partnering with Curiosity and a Carry On please contact me at email@example.com